May 2, 2012 6:12 PM Subscribe
Last fall, I asked you guys
for some help with my OkCupid profile. Your advice worked really well for me! I've changed a fair bit since then and now that I'm getting back into dating full-time I'm going back for round 2 with the hive mind.
posted by modernserf to Human Relations (18 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
The basics: 26/male/queer but prefer women. Brooklyn. The profile in question
. Kinkier than ever
, but not nearly as obsessed with it as I was before. I'm looking to connect with open-minded people, but I don't have specific fetishes that I need to explore. Right now, I'm not suited for serious relationships — I'm strictly looking for casual dating, or other low-stakes variations thereof.
I have both "easy" and "difficult" traits — I'm not going to categorize them as good or bad — that should be conveyed by the profile. Its important that I acknowledge and own the difficult traits, because they are a part of me and whomever is going to date me needs to be prepared, though I'd like to present them in the best light possible.
- witty, articulate & erudite
- Klostermanesque affinity for pop culture
- looks good in a vest / solid "hipster-but-not-costumey" fashion sense
- very open with emotions / opens up easily
- cooks & bartends
- have small, cute pets
- geeky, but in the charming, socially acceptable way
- pretentious as fuck
- weird, cartoony voice
- introverted / conversations sound like i'm interviewing the other person
- arrogant, but not confident / self-deprecating, but not humble
- noncommittal / non-monogamous / driven by novelty
- neurotic / unhealthy recursive thought patterns
- opens up too easily — no filter
- develops attachment when inappropriate
- rather flatulent
I'm looking to convey all of this as succinctly as possible — "show, don't tell" is the motto here. If you have photo suggestions I can get new pictures taken. I've updated the profile since last time, but I'm willing to completely tear down the old profile and start anew.