What makes more sense when broken?

I need a visual metaphor or pun: something that shows "break for sense." What object or symbol can be taken apart, or decomposed, and then reveals something new? Ideally can be shown fairly simply, in an abstracted way.

I've come up with a few, but none are quite clicking. For instance, you can take a hard shell and crack it to reveal the seed.

This is for my personal brand. The original phrase comes from typography, where text is line-broken to make sense, instead of just to fill the page.
posted by JLMC to Media & Arts (18 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
posted by Rock Steady at 5:28 AM on December 20, 2012 [1 favorite]

A geode.
posted by phunniemee at 5:47 AM on December 20, 2012

Came here to say geode. I think some mineralogical society's legend is Latin for "We fracture to reveal." Maybe a geologist's hammer breaking a stone to reveal something.
posted by StickyCarpet at 5:50 AM on December 20, 2012

An egg.
posted by bunderful at 5:56 AM on December 20, 2012

matroshka dolls
certain types of physical puzzles
trojan horse
corposes, bodies
(human) heads
nuts, e.g. walnuts
lockers, cabinets, cupboards
buildings, houses
posted by Foci for Analysis at 6:02 AM on December 20, 2012

Piggy Bank - break for cents!
posted by Roommate at 6:07 AM on December 20, 2012 [4 favorites]

atom bomb
posted by dydecker at 6:10 AM on December 20, 2012

I think showing a literal broken thing would work against the meaning you're going for. And typography is awesome.
posted by ook at 6:11 AM on December 20, 2012

A fortune cookie
posted by pipeski at 6:26 AM on December 20, 2012 [2 favorites]

butterfly coming out of chrysalis.
posted by sciencegeek at 6:54 AM on December 20, 2012

brain inside a skull?
posted by acm at 6:54 AM on December 20, 2012

I like the piggy bank idea! I see ook's point about the literal broken thing working against the typography meaning you're going for, though.

Maybe combine the two, and as a visual aid, use one of those eye charts that is actually composed of split up words?

I made this one for you.
posted by misha at 6:58 AM on December 20, 2012

A glow stick?
posted by Rhaomi at 7:09 AM on December 20, 2012

Maybe one of those glass fronted boxes where you break it to activate a fire alarm or get a fire extinguisher...the "in case of emergency, break glass" things. But instead of a fire alarm, there could be something else inside.
posted by christinetheslp at 8:44 AM on December 20, 2012

Thanks for the ideas.

Piggy bank: agh, terrible pun (by which I mean great). But I'm not sure it explains the name so much as adds another layer of meaning.

I thought of the fire alam one. I was never sure what to put in there.

Ook, you're right, literally broken -- as in destroyed -- things might work against my theme. Things with pauses or rests, or less destructive "separations" would work though.

Pure typography is tempting, and the eye chart is a good idea. I will play around with it.
posted by JLMC at 1:40 PM on December 20, 2012

Disposable chopsticks
posted by mhum at 4:35 PM on December 20, 2012

ooh, fortune cookie is a good one.

how about something like breaking a worldview, e.g. allowing one to think outside a box by breaking it?

but ultimately I like the idea above, but maybe break it this way, as the lines look more like real words and are therefore more confusing, and interesting, at first

posted by brenton at 5:45 PM on December 20, 2012

an acorn with a sapling sprouting out of it?
posted by at at 9:00 AM on December 21, 2012

« Older I am not Mrs Myhusband'sfirsti...   |  Art tablet for computer PC for... Newer »