How do I most efficiently promote my iPad game?
July 12, 2011 11:41 AM Subscribe
I released an app in the app store. How do I promote it? What works and what doesn't?
So, I am mostly an artist but since I'm part of a start-up, it's all hands on deck for everything. This means I'm a large part of the promotional team and I'm trying to learn as fast as I can! I would love some practical advice on where to send info, how to get attention. Basically: whatever you think might help!
Here's some topics I am concerned about/things I've done:
1. Friend promotion Told everybody I know about it. I spammed twitter & FB for a few days and a lot of friends DID download it....but since it's an iPad app, there just aren't that many friends with iPads.
2. Do reviews matter? We got a lot of strangers to download via promo codes, but they can't add reviews. I hate begging friends for (honest) reviews, but if it makes a large difference I will. I feel like reviews mostly just push people who are already interested over the edge.
3. Review sites Nobody I know just browses the app store for fun looking things, they use some sort of review sites. So we've sent promo codes/press releases to them and a few other similar ones, but of course so did everybody else in the world. Are there any non-obvious sites I might not have thought of that I could send an EPK to?
4. Advertising. We're taking out an ads, but really just because a site we sent an EPK to responded with an ad offer. So it's not a well-designed campaign, just "sure why not, this sounds reasonable" sort of thing. Any advice on a good campaign?
5. The cheaper the better. I'm not sure on the exact details of our budget, but it's not very large and of course we don't want to spend more on ads than we're going to make on sales, but who can predict that?
I'm sure there's a lot of things I'm missing. Please tell me what they are. Also I looked for previous questions on this topic and didn't find any. If I missed some, please point them out to me.
Sorry if I sound frantic, but this is an entirely new domain for me.