Okay I give up. Metafilter YOU buy my car for me.
October 3, 2007 7:32 AM Subscribe
New Car? Used Car? Status car? Reliable Car? Is it possible there is just ONE car to rule them all? It's time for me to buy SOMETHING to replace my beloved 1970 Dodge Swinger. The question is WHAT?
posted by rileyray3000 to Shopping (44 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
So I should state for the record that I live in Los Angeles. That's going to be helpful later in recognizing where all this car agita is coming from.
I recently sold my 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger for 5500 dollars. This was AFTER I put over 28,000 into it. Heartbreaking but it was time. I couldn't use it as a daily driver anymore with a 40 mile commute, the lack of AC was killing me and I had nowhere to keep it should I want to use it as a weekend car.
Plus it's primary role was to score hot rockabilly girls. And I'm not doing that anymore. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
So now it's time for a NEW car. And having been beaten into submission by the demands of my previous high maintenance car, pretty much ALL newer cars than 1970 seem like Jetsons vehicles to me. But I've tried to break it down into elements. If you can figure out how to put them together into the car I should buy, I WILL buy it. These are NOT in any order and I will sacrifice some for others if need be.
1) Automatic: I can't drive a stick. I don't want to learn. This is non-negotiable.
2) Credit Rating and finance: I have a great one. Just found out. And it surprised the hell out of me. Salarywise I have a piece of paper from work that says I make six figures. Even if my agent takes a bunch of it. I'm not part of a credit union but I can be. Though if there are any dealer finance programs with specials going on, I'm one of those "qualified buyers" they're always talking about really fast at the end of the commerical.
3) Status and Cache: I am technically now a TV executive. The Dodge Swinger in it's restored glory, looked like a CHOICE. Like this was what I wanted. Not what I had to drive. I'd like some element of that in the new car.
4) Money: I have up to 8 Grand to put down as a down payment. And I know that many new cars devalue a ton when you drive them off the lot. So I'm open to used cars. Though I'd like one with a warranty.
5) Monthly payments: In theory, I'd like to cap my monthly payment between 350-400 bucks a month and not go over 4 years on a lease. If possible.
6) Imported Car: Unless there is a FANTASTIC american car out there with crazy deals right now, I'd like to stay far away from US brands.
7) A Car, Not A Truck: For the last 4 years I've gotten 8 miles to the gallon. I want a car with good mileage. Not an SUV. Not a truck. Not a CRV. A car.
8) Gay Cars: My boss is gay. His assistant is gay. Many of the people I work with and meet with are gay. I am NOT gay. I have been given a list of cars by them that, if I am straight, I should not drive: The Mini Cooper. The Mazda Miata. The Jetta. The jeep that's a convertible. Apparently those are all code for West Hollywood Boy in Los Angeles.
9) Style: There are some newer cars I think look nice. If there's something in this pocket, I'm open to it. The audi S4, The scion TC, Most BMWs, no mercedes (they all look like Old Man cars to me), the new honda civic coupe, The Infiniti G35, the nissan altima coupe, the nissan 350Z, all the overpriced sports cars that are out of my price range.
10) Other: Two doors over four doors (but still open), would love a convertible (but would understand if not), leather seats are SO much better and, if possible, I'd like to have a good stereo system that takes Sirius. If not, I can always get one installed.
So those are the basics. The truth is if a car handles okay, feels nice and still holds up my end of looking like I'm supposed to in it, I'll be fine with it really. I've just been looking at car sites for the last five days and I have no idea what to do.
All I know is I can't rent another Chevy Aveo. I'd rather walk onto a lot with a fistful of cash and pass out on a car randomly than do that again. So go get em metafilter. YOU buy my car for me.