Raspberry Pi ideas?

I just recently got a Raspberry Pi system and I'm wondering what the best way is to revolutionize the tech in my life.

I currently am using OpenELEC on it with XBMC and 1Channel for movies and TV. However I originally had SABnzd and SickBeard running with XBMC to get me the latest episodes of my favorite TV shows and to add them automatically to the Pi on a USB hard drive.

However most things are available instantly on 1channel so I don't really see a need to use a Usenet source for things that I want to watch.

I thought about running Plex server on it but realized that I wouldn't really be using it much as I could just bring my Pi with me and start streaming my shows right away wherever there's a wired/wireless connection and an HDMI port.

Is there anything that can make my Raspberry Pi even more useful or cool other than my current setup? I really want to use this thing to an even greater entertainment potential.
posted by antgly to Technology (5 answers total) 21 users marked this as a favorite

I use mine with RetroPie, which basically throws a bunch of emulators on it and a pretty good user interface for them. Controller setup was a bear, but once you get that settled you can pretty much just turn it on and go.

The downside is that 3D games for the PSX don't run at 100%, and the N64 Emulation isn't there. But most other emulators work great.
posted by hellojed at 8:44 PM on April 10

Raspberry Pi was mentioned as a solution to one of my recent AskMe questions, so... are you looking for a headless web server to serve as a portable and searchable repository of information and files that you can access at home and work?
posted by Houstonian at 9:16 PM on April 10

Seconding RetroPie -- I've only used it for NES/SNES, but it's great at that.
posted by hades at 9:24 PM on April 10

You have wifi for it? and an hdmi cable? Why not make a DIY Airtame? https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/airtame-wireless-hdmi-for-everyone--2

Down that page they show prototyping with a Rasp.Pi.

This thread alerted me to the existence of Airtame.
posted by at at 3:43 AM on April 11

Furthering the retropie idea, AdaFruit sells a cool looking (although pricey) mini arcade box for it.
posted by Poldo at 8:27 AM on April 11

« Older I saw a pretty great Japanese ...   |  I feel naked without earrings.... Newer »