Portable and searchable files
January 10, 2014 7:19 AM Subscribe
Please help me brainstorm for a solution. I have lots of text and files (such as .pdf, .png, .wav) that I want to be able to access from my home and work computers. I also want to be able to search for keywords and add hyperlinks in the text.
posted by Houstonian to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Many times, I'm at work and think of a file I really need that is at home. I'd like to just always have these files available to me.
- I thought DokuWiki on a stick was the right answer, so I installed it on a flash drive and started filling it up. Unfortunately, at work Symantec Endpoint Protection prevents me from running any application from a portable device, so I can't start the Apache web server.
- Putting the files in Dropbox is not what I'm looking for, because I can't do the hyperlinks and searching the way I'd like.
- I love Evernote, but it doesn't seem like the right answer either for various reasons.
- I don't want to lug around a tablet, or try to access the files from my phone.
- I don't want to put my files on a website, because I'd like them to be just for me. I don't want other people to see them and I don't want to be blocked by IT Internet policy.
- I could add the text as .html files on the thumb drive, but I can't add a search engine without running something on the thumb drive (right?), and thus having it disabled at work.
- I'd prefer something not too obscure, because I'll have this need for my entire working career, I think.
What am I looking for?