General principles for maintaining weight while traveling globally
December 10, 2012 10:21 AM Subscribe
Help me figure out a way to eat healthily, without gaining weight, while traveling on work, across climates, geography, cuisines and hotels. Gained 7lbs/3kg in just the past 2 weeks of travel for work.
posted by infini to health & fitness (42 answers total) 15 users marked this as a favorite
I just spent 2 weeks working in Europe (Holland) and came back to Singapore today to find that I've brought some excess baggage. And I was trying to lose a few pounds!
I have a few questions on this challenge:
1. Climate variations are extreme - it was snowing in Holland and its a tropical 32 Celsius here.
2. Food is either eaten on the go, in restaurants or readymeals unless I get a chance to cook in a service apartment.
3. Cuisines are so different and the ones I'm most commonly exposed to are never listed in all the thousands of websites on calorie counting. i.e. North and South Indian, Malay, Chinese, Dutch, whatever, its not possible to follow a formal (western style) diet such as a lettuce leaf and a boiled egg type of thing.
4. I need general principles rather than diets - such as "cut out all sugar"; "don't eat cheese"; "coconut milk is out" or some such
5. What else can I do? I have never formally dieted or calorie counted but only started gaining weight in this past year.
Links to calories of non Western/American foods/brands appreciated! I don't even know if kuay teow is an artery choker or not!