Must-not-miss food and restaurants in Kyoto
February 12, 2010 3:32 AM Subscribe
Recommendations needed for must-try restaurants and food in Kyoto!
posted by slimepuppy to Food & Drink (15 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I will be spending about a week in Kyoto at the beginning of March and though I have a pretty good idea of what temples, shrines, sites and museums I want to go see, I could do with actual human recommendations on what restaurants and specific foods I should not miss while in Kyoto. Most of our food will probably be acquired by wandering into restaurants (shokudo?) that we happen upon, but I would really appreciate recommendations of places that are worth a trip in and of themselves.
1. I and the people I'm travelling with are completely omnivorous, adventurous and appreciate quality when it comes to food.
2. None of us speak any Japanese though I'm trying by best to learn a little before we go, so a place that will accomodate/tolerate 4 confused Finnish people would be great.
3. Any price range will do: from haute cuisine (kaiseki?) to soba/udon noodles.
4. Unagi restaurant recommendations would be especially appreciated.
5. Even if you can't recommend a specific restaurant, please do tell me what food must be had while in Kyoto.
6. One of my main reasons to go to Japan is the food, so we are unlikely to go to places that specialise in food from other countries, no matter how excellent.