Two out of Three Ain't Bad?

About a year and a half ago, my wife and I put a security freeze on our credit reports. We have PINs for two of the bureaus...

We are both missing PINs for Equifax, which seems really odd. My documentation shows that they had our old address at the time of the freeze, but that I successfully updated that information a couple of months later. It's entirely possible I lost those PINs, but it's beginning to seem more likely to me that they were sent to that old address. I would like to temporarily lift the freeze so I can get a different credit card (American Express; my hatred of all things Chase is a grand story for another time). Are two of the three credit bureaus enough to satisfy AmEx, or am I going to have to go through the hoops to get a new PIN from Equifax?
posted by malaprohibita to Work & Money (2 answers total)

AmEx isn't going to pay all three credit reporting agencies for your score. From a quick Google, while they usually pull Experian, it does seem to vary somewhat (probably based on who is offering them the best price at the time), as I see people reporting that they've had a pull from AmEx on their Equifax or TransUnion reports.

My suggestion is to just give it a whirl... the odds seem decent to me.
posted by kindall at 10:50 AM on December 10, 2012

Thanks, kindall. I had no idea AmEx themselves had to pay to access my credit report, but it makes sense now that you've brought it to my attention.
posted by malaprohibita at 11:12 AM on December 10, 2012

« Older Help me figure out a way to ea...   |  Do you know of any candy (gumm... Newer »