Ethics of dating too soon?
April 6, 2012 3:03 PM Subscribe
I would probably get back together with my ex if he asked me to do so, atleast today. I think I need to date other people to get him out of my head. What are the ethics of that?
posted by athena2255 to Human Relations (31 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
- Breakup was approximately a month ago. It was horrible (for me).
- Since then, he's been horrible (to me. NO CONTACT NO CONTACT NO CONTACT for a reason, y'all! He's been stringing me along and I've been lapping it up).
- I think that I need to remind myself that there are men out there who are honest, kind, interesting, AND WILL TREAT ME WELL in order to *really* get over him.
- We had met online dating, and I found it to be enjoyable, and that's probably the route I would go again.
- I KNOW that I am not ready for a serious relationship at this time. I just to have some fun, be flirted with, flirt with others, etc etc right now.
- My (kind, well-meaning) friends think this is a HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD IDEA and tell me that I need to "focus on myself" and not get involved with anyone for 3-6 months.
I probably wouldn't put on my profile that I'm looking for something short-term or casual, as I'd only get one-night-stand responses. But, I WOULD inform them of my intentions before the first date. And I'm thinking about dating multiple people, which I would also inform them of.
So, question: is it ethical, as long as I fully inform the other person(s) involved, to date them when I would essentially be "using them" to make myself feel better and get over someone else?