March 31, 2012 9:05 PM Subscribe
I want to get a cat. I think. How do I know if this is a good idea? What does cat ownership entail? Is this too much? Feeling overwhelmed and in need of calm, soothing, authoritative advice.
posted by firstbest to pets & animals (36 answers total) 21 users marked this as a favorite
After talking about it for many years, my man and I are seriously thinking about getting a cat. We have pretty much no idea where to start, or how to do this right. For some reason the internet, which is the alpha and omega when it comes to pictures of cats, has not been offering up too much wealth by way of advice for clueless wannabe cat-owners.
Facts about us:
- I've been a dog owner and a housemate to a cat-owner, but never had a cat of my own. He's been a housemate to a cat-owner but never had a cat of his own.
- We live in a decent-sized NYC apartment with no outdoor space.
- We are aware of and can afford the financial burdens of cat ownership.
- We travel with moderate frequency, probably 5 days out of every 60, for work-related reasons.
- Neither of us works from home, but both of us can work from home now and then, if we need to.
Are we well suited for cat ownership? Does the travel thing (non-negotiable aspects of both our jobs) ruin everything? Should we get kittens or adult cats? Should we get one or two, to keep each other company? What are some good resources for first-time cat owners, or — even better — for people who are trying to figure out if they should be first-time cat owners?
If we do get a cat/cats, I hereby promise to post copious pictures.