Help me find my daughter's perfect dance dress...
December 14, 2007 6:39 PM   Subscribe

I am looking for a particular kind of skirt to give my daughter for Christmas. She's a dancer, and she's looking for a particular black dress with a ragged hemline (angular, or slanted, I'm not sure what to call it). We have seen them all over the place on other girls, but never FOUND one on the web or in stores. Picture inside.

This is the style and fabric she's wanting, but instead of a whole dress, she wants just a skirt, and instead of purple, she wants black.

Can you help me hive mind? Buying online is the ideal solution if I could find such a beast. Any help greatly appreciated!
posted by jwhowa to Shopping (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Flickr link to the dress. Thanks!
posted by jwhowa at 6:41 PM on December 14, 2007

Can't help with a source, but is that not a handkerchief hem dress? Might help with the googling.
posted by Tapioca at 6:50 PM on December 14, 2007

The style you want is a handkerchief skirt, IIRC. I think I see the kind listed as a 'double handkerchief' which is very similar but not quite exact.
posted by cobaltnine at 6:51 PM on December 14, 2007

Yep, handkerchief hem.
posted by occhiblu at 6:54 PM on December 14, 2007

This one's specifically designed for dancing (couldn't quite tell if that's what you're looking for).
posted by occhiblu at 6:56 PM on December 14, 2007

It's sometimes known as either asymmetrical or handkerchief hemlines.

As someone who often knows EXACTLY what she has in mind... I'll suggest it may be far simpler to sew it yourself. (And that's even if you've never sewn a stitch in your life...) Did she want that same fabric? Some fabrics don't fray so they don't require hemming - which is easier but also results in a better drape. (My sewing machine's just been fixed and yes I would love to help.)
posted by mu~ha~ha~ha~har at 7:06 PM on December 14, 2007

Thank you, thank you, thank you all! The fact that this is a "handkerchief hem" was the magic I needed to find a plethora of similar dresses on the web. My admittedly mannish knowledge of fashion wasn't helping. Googling "Ragged Edge, Slanted Hem, Uneven hem, etc" wasn't finding me much! You ladies are awesome! I thank you and my daughter will thank you! :)
posted by jwhowa at 10:37 PM on December 14, 2007

« Older How can we afford these prescriptions?   |   What's up with Yahoo? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.