Long term effects of 100mg Trimipramine od
August 22, 2007 10:52 AM   Subscribe

My mum had a bad car accident with head injuries in 1984. She has been taking 100mg trimipramine daily since then. I only found out about the medication today after insisting she attend a doctor, and visiting with her. Ever since the accident, she exhibited a small amount of mental confusion, but not enough to interfere with her leading an independent life. Until now.

In the last three years, we have seen a rapid decline, with extreme difficulty starting and continuing sentences, even though she seems to have formed the thought in her head, a hunched shuffling walk, well beyond what one would expect from someone her age. In addition, she seems to be experiencing some hallucinatory drumming noises.

The doctor has referred her urgently to a geriatric psychiatrist.

In the meantime, what should I ask about her medication, and what of her current speech and gait difficulties are likely to be attributable to the medication vs. injury caused by the accident.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis, but for some sensible things to ask, given that my questions to the primary care doctor so far have been met with obliqueness and circuitous talking.

What else should I be doing?

Situation is UK-based.
posted by blue_wardrobe to Health & Fitness (2 answers total)
My initial thought was that she should see a neurologist, given her symptoms (mental confusion, speech issues). Also - do you know what the trimipramine was initially prescribed for? Tricyclic anti-depressants are often prescribed for migraine, as well. Maybe you could ask for a referral to a neuro as well? Just a thought - obviously, IANAD or anything close
posted by cgg at 12:55 PM on August 22, 2007

ask the doctor what you asked us. s/he should be able to give you some guidance until you can get a handle on what's going on. i would ask for a referral to a neurologist, too, unless your doctor can give you a compelling reason why not. you just want to rule out any biological causes, like a lesion, stroke, aneyurism, or some other issue.

in terms of preparing for whatever specialist you end up seeing, i would prepare a document including her injuries, any complications, what deficits she had after the accident, and then detail the decline you have seen now.

i am not a doctor, btw.
posted by thinkingwoman at 12:58 PM on August 22, 2007

« Older What should we call our fake Eating Club?   |   How to install more RAM in my Everex laptop? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.