Precise Eames
May 15, 2009 10:01 AM   Subscribe

Does anyone know the name of this Eames chair, and perhaps where I might procure one?
posted by rush to Home & Garden (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Sadly, not at There are molded plastic/fiberglass chairs with the same form, but not with the reclining feature. What is the page that image came from?
posted by filthy light thief at 10:11 AM on May 15, 2009

I've never seen the Eames Molded Plastic Armchair (which is the name for the seat portion of that chair) with a desk-chair base like that. I've seen them with the wire base and the rocker base, but not one like that. Could it have been a custom job? Or perhaps a long-discontinued model?
posted by dersins at 10:25 AM on May 15, 2009

Response by poster: It's from the "Birth of the Cool" article in the Times.
posted by rush at 10:26 AM on May 15, 2009

You could try Modernica. Marrying this seat to this base comes close. The people at Modernica are terrifically helpful and know their stuff well. They might have a suggestion or solution for you.
posted by firstdrop at 10:29 AM on May 15, 2009

maybe try or
posted by Ollie at 11:55 AM on May 15, 2009

Just drop the folks at Eames Gallery an email and ask - they are a friendly bunch.
posted by mikepop at 12:15 PM on May 15, 2009

Seconding firstdrop's suggestion of calling Modernica. They replaced the base (a rocker, not wheels) on a similar chair for us not long ago.
posted by zachlipton at 1:14 PM on May 15, 2009

Is it definitely Eames? The shape of the chair looks more like a Saarinen tulip chair. I have vintage office chairs in that shape, but they don't recline.
posted by ishotjr at 2:33 PM on May 15, 2009

I'm pretty sure the body is the Eames Molded Plastic Armchair body, and the Times caption identifies it as an Eames chair.
posted by dersins at 2:43 PM on May 15, 2009

I think it's known as the Tulip chair. I have 5 of them (sitting on one right now, they're surprisingly comfortable), but they're not for sale, sorry.
EBay might be a good place to start - search 'Eames Fiberglass chair'.
FWIW I noticed a few weeks ago that a store here in Ottawa (Bank Street in the Glebe) had one for sale, in cream-yellow, for $400.
posted by Flashman at 4:34 PM on May 15, 2009

Best answer: Its a Herman Miller Eames Shell Chair. also sometimes known as a "Eames shell management chair". Here is a gallery listing (with image) that confirms it.
posted by Chrischris at 10:11 PM on May 15, 2009

« Older Paging Miss Manners   |   My heart longs for you, my soul dies for you, my... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.