Am I actually going to get in trouble if I drive this car?
January 14, 2008 5:41 PM Subscribe
My girlfriend and I are taking a trip. She's 27, I'm 24. We're renting a car in her name. What are the consequences if she doesn't tell Hertz about me, but I drive anyway?
posted by soonertbone to Travel & Transportation (23 answers total)
For her to add me as an authorized driver, it's going to increase the price by fifty bucks ($10/day). My initial thought is that, as a driver with 8 years of experience and a spotless driving record, we should just not tell Hertz of my existence and proceed along normally. What are the possible negative consequences if we were to do such a thing? (Traveling from Michigan to Oklahoma, by the way.)
Here's what Hertz has to say:
Acceptable Authorized Operators age 25 and older are automatically covered on the Rental Agreement.
Authorized Operators are:
- The employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number).
- The renter's spouse for rentals that originate in California, Iowa, New York or Nevada.
- Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.
- There are no fees for Authorized Operators.
Additional Authorized Operators
- Individuals not automatically covered on the Rental Agreement as Authorized Operators noted above may be signed on as an "Additional Authorized Operator" (AAO). AAO's must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.
- An applicable driving record verification will be performed on the AAO.
- Renter and each AAO must be present to sign Rental Agreement, present an acceptable credit card or debit card (if renting city accepts debit cards) in their own name, or a current round-trip ticket (air, train or bus), show valid driver's license, and must be a minimum of 25 years of age.
Additional Authorized Operators Fees
USD 10.00 per day, maximum USD 50.00 per rental, for each Additional Authorized Operator.