I just ordered my passport.
July 28, 2011 2:02 PM Subscribe
I want to travel to Europe (France, Germany, Austria, and maybe Poland) this fall. I have never left the United States. I have absolutely no idea how to plan this. Many details inside.
posted by Hey Dean Yeager! to travel & transportation (28 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
I'm sorry to clutter AskMe with another set of European travel questions, but after culling through the ones previously posted I still don't really know where to begin. I would appreciate any insight you can offer me. Some detrails:
- I am in my late 20's, male, and will be traveling alone. I know one person in Europe (in Graz, Austria) who I will be using as a sort of home base. I plan on this trip lasting about two weeks.
- I have no command of any language other than English. Am I screwed? I plan to try and learn French and German somewhat before I go. What would you recommend to help accomplish this?
- The places I'm most interested in seeing are not generally tourist spots (mostly battlefields.) I have no problem taking trains and buses to the big cities but I was wondering if renting a car was a worthwhile option for seeing the smaller towns. Have you rented a car in Europe? What can you tell me about that?
- I want to spend (including airfare) about $3000.
- Am I out of my mind for thinking this is doable? Please share your afraid-to-travel-but-did-it-and-it-was-awesome stories, too!
I have many, many more questions but I think this is enough for now. Many thanks in advance, Metafilter!