Traveling in Tokyo filter: My nephew, who is in the U.S. Air Force, is traveling to his first posting at Misawa AB, in Aomori Prefecture, in Japan. He will arrive at Narita at 2:55 pm local time on March 17, and needs to get to Haneda airport for a 7:55 am flight to Misawa the next morning, March 18. He'll have one afternoon and evening in Tokyo to do a little sightseeing. Suggestions and travel help?
It's been recommended he stay at the New Sanno Hotel
, which is a military hotel in the Azabu neighborhood of Tokyo, on the Hibiya line, a few minutes' walk from the Hiroo station.
Looks like he can go straight from Narita to the hotel on the train
and dump his stuff, then go out and explore a little bit.
Next morning, looks like he can leave the hotel about 5:30 am and get to Haneda around 6:30
, plenty of time to make his flight at 7:55.
Once he gets to the hotel, I am thinking he should ask the front desk for an address card, with the hotel's name and address written in Japanese, so he can get help getting back.
So: here are my questions:
- He'll have a duffel, another bag and a backpack once he gets off the plane. Should he take a shuttle from airport to hotel and vice versa, or can he carry that much baggage on the train?
- Do I have the train hookups right for those two trips - Narita to New Sanno hotel (Hiroo station) and New Sanno hotel (Hiroo station) to Haneda? Or should he just forget about trains for the hotel-airport legs (due to bags) and take the shuttles?
- It looks like he'll need to make a reservation at the hotel, and would like to call the information desk. However, the phone codes are confusing to me: what does (DSN) or (CML) in the area code place mean?
- He'll be in uniform for travel, and he is tall, young and latino (in appearance, obviously not anglo). He does not speak any Japanese, but will have a list of polite phrases for please, thank you, and excuse me, etc. Will his appearance help or hurt him, and how can he look most friendly and approachable?
- Where can he get an appropriate phone for the area, cheaply?
- Where should he not fail to visit?
- Also, he is a really good baseball player. Is it baseball season in March, and can he get to a game on this day (March 17, in the evening)?
Thank you for any help you can give us.