Name that podcast.

Here's a NameFilter for you: I've just started a new podcast. It's a chat show, with a focus on intelligent humor. We're trying to give it a name. Any ideas?

We've come up with The Bombardment Society & Kite Flying Club. Our show (already up and running for some time) is The Sound of Young America. We might just name it Maximum Fun, which is sort of an unofficial slogan for the other show. I'm looking for ideas that suggest fun without sounding like the name of an improv group (eg: Mixed Nutz).
posted by YoungAmerican to Media & Arts (27 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Love love love The Sound of Young America! Big fan.

My immediate idea (which seems less funny the more I rethink it) is "The Club that Will Have You." It's a play on the line in Annie Hall: "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member."

Perhaps I'm too starstruck to come up with something better. Happy to have you here, Jesse.
posted by ColdChef at 4:19 PM on December 8, 2006

The Vinegar Delivery System.
posted by Robot Rowboat at 4:24 PM on December 8, 2006 [1 favorite]

Foxy Morons
posted by rob511 at 4:28 PM on December 8, 2006 [1 favorite]

A Pair of Ragged Claws

or just

Ragged Claws

(Amusing as a name for anything, yet referencing intelligent poetry.)
posted by The Deej at 4:46 PM on December 8, 2006

posted by phrontist at 5:25 PM on December 8, 2006

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to post a link... this is the first episode of the show, as "Untitled Thorn/Morris Project."

That's a good suggestion, btw, Cold Chef, though it's worth noting that's originally a Groucho Marx line.
posted by YoungAmerican at 5:51 PM on December 8, 2006

OMG I am such a huge fan, Jesse! My lame contribution, mainly just so I could ass-kiss, is:

Interstitial Patter
posted by tristeza at 5:59 PM on December 8, 2006

Haha, awesome. I'm listening to TSOYA right now! (Hi Jesse!)

I know you are asking for suggestions for a new name, but can I say that I love the current one? It's ironic, retro yet fresh, and the theme song is rockin. Maybe other hardcore fans are similarly attached? That said, the name did confuse me a little at first, so it might be a good idea to change to something descriptive & shorter if your goal is immediate radioland takeover...
/no help at all
posted by QueSeraSera at 6:14 PM on December 8, 2006

*turns on title-generating machine inside her mind, begins to take faithful dictation of spewed-forth nonsense*

Multicolored Man Confetti--or you could just take it that single step further and call it Manfetti

The Invention of Left and Right Shoes

If Wishes Were Horses, Prepubescent Girls Would Subconsciously Want to Have Sex with Them

Giddy Babies Pull Purple Faces

Death's Head on a Doughy Body

Pronounced Limp

Collective Noun

Occupy Yourselves with Us

*What, these don't suggest fun to you?*
posted by Powerful Religious Baby at 6:24 PM on December 8, 2006

I too wish to ass-kiss to your greatness. (awesome shows Jesse!)

I like Morris Thorn.
(kind of what you were talking about at the beginning of the show)

He sounds like some 60s swinger dude.

( Images of an uber intellectual in a turtleneck holding a martini glass ... and a big 70s porn star mustache)
posted by Bighappyfunhouse at 6:32 PM on December 8, 2006

The Half-Eaten Hat Show

The Jubilant Maneouvres

The Modified Noun Show

The Skilful Application of Films With John Belushi In

The Implied Tangibility of Abstracts
posted by Robot Rowboat at 6:37 PM on December 8, 2006

To clarify... this is for the *new* podcast, The Sound of Young America will stay such until I inevitably get sued by Motown.
posted by YoungAmerican at 6:40 PM on December 8, 2006

Snooty Bastard Theatre?
posted by The Confessor at 7:19 PM on December 8, 2006

Burnt Offerings
posted by mcstayinskool at 7:42 PM on December 8, 2006

The Ferry Muckers.
posted by clevershark at 7:56 PM on December 8, 2006

Why not something simple like "The Talk of Young America?"
posted by ph00dz at 8:09 PM on December 8, 2006

Rocket Surgerym(or, the Rocket Surgeons).
posted by 4ster at 8:42 PM on December 8, 2006 [2 favorites]

er just "surgery" -m.
posted by 4ster at 8:43 PM on December 8, 2006

Two peas in a pod?
Three peas in a pod?

I'm ashamed to admit I'm unfamiliar with your show. Is the format one host, one guest? Number of host equal number of peas.
posted by JujuB at 8:44 PM on December 8, 2006

Owl Stretching Time
posted by jbickers at 9:22 PM on December 8, 2006

Unregistered Cheesecake.

Don't ask me, it was a phrase that randomly turned up in my head one day. Might as well air it out here I guess.

Better yet it gets no google hits as a phrase. Maybe it will now. Hello, posterity!
posted by tomble at 5:43 AM on December 9, 2006

Hypnic Jerk Theater
posted by Alt F4 at 5:43 PM on December 9, 2006

I like bighappyfunhouse's idea: Morris Thorn. I also like the name Big Happy Fun House, but I guess that's taken already. How about The Morris Thorn Hour of Fun? Or just Big Happy?

This doesn't really fit your requirements, but because I'm such a Steve Martin fan: Cruel Shoes.

Another idea: Seriously Fun

(huge TSOYA fan here, Jesse. keep up the good work.)
posted by fletchmuy at 6:51 AM on December 10, 2006

I would like to kiss BigHappy's ass, too, because his operation is golden as well.

I like Cruel Shoes a lot, but that seems not like an homage, more like a rip-off :).

Right now we're brainstorming some ideas from William Carlos Williams, who happens to be a hero of both of us.
posted by YoungAmerican at 11:33 AM on December 10, 2006

How about "The Best Show Not on WFMU"?
posted by melorama at 2:54 PM on December 10, 2006

BTW, apparently this is the winner: Jordan, Jesse GO!
posted by ColdChef at 8:39 PM on December 17, 2006

Yeah, we narrowed down some of our ideas and some listener ideas to a poll, which revealed that the names we'd thought of so far were lukewarm for our listeners. And then I thought of Jordan, Jesse GO!, and called Jordan. He said, "Boom. That's it."

Thanks for your help, AskMeFites.
posted by YoungAmerican at 8:53 PM on December 17, 2006

« Older I'm looking for a script or ap...   |  I'm looking for the lyrics to ... Newer »