It's a small, small world...
June 17, 2006 5:05 PM Subscribe
If you had $1600 USD/mo in after-tax income, absolutely no debt, $15K (US) in savings, and a job that allowed you to work from anywhere in the world with a net connection, where would you live?
posted by fuzzbean to Travel & Transportation (54 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
I'm thinking about moving. I have a job (based in Boston) that I can do from anywhere in the world, as long as I can get an internet connection (wireless or otherwise) for at least 20 hours a week. I have a US passport+citizenship and Canadian citizenship (working on the passport). What cities meet the following criteria?
- I can live comfortably (reasonably) on $1600/mo (food and rent+utils+net; nice if I could get an evening out every so often. I'm pretty frugal.)
- Easy internet availability
- I can get by speaking only English (I could probably pick up enough French to manage in a relatively short time, if I had to.)
- I can access a first-world level health care system quickly and easily (this is absolutely a must-I don't plan to need it but it HAS to be there; my family has quirky biology.)
- I can get around without a car (either walking or public-transit)
- I am reasonably unlikely to be raped, kidnapped, or murdered (skinny white chick here)
- Good weather. I left Boston because of the winter, so noplace with worse winters than that. Especially nice would be if there is regular sunshine, not too hot, and you can do stuff outside.
Thus far I've lived in Louisiana and Boston. I've visited NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Ottawa, and Los Angeles. My favorite thus far has probably been Ottawa (except for the weather thing) and Boston (except for the cost-of-living thing and the weather thing). I'm okay with doing a three-months-here, three-months-there transient existence for a while. I looked at this thread
and there were some interesting suggestions, but I'd like to see if the hive mind can provide some ideas more applicable to my immediate situation.
Vancouver? Paris? Auckland? Toronto? Bangkok? Dublin? Syndey? London? New Orleans? Give me an itinerary, people!