Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Depression? Something else?
August 14, 2014 4:36 PM Subscribe
I'm a 31 year old male who is in "picture perfect health" according to the 10+ doctors I've seen in the past 10 months while trying to figure out what is wrong with me. Looking for someone who has had or known someone with CFS, Depression or similar symptoms to possibly provide some insight.
posted by kvoorhees to Health & Fitness (41 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
1. Malaise - Started in October of 2013. Varied in intensity day to day. Strongest at night but lasts all day. Generally a feeling of “I'm about to get sick”. That first day of a cold or flu feeling. Almost a toxic feeling running through my body, slight sore throat, general malaise feeling. Muscle ache (mainly in limbs), slight headache.
2. Fatigue - Started in December of 2013. Generally is less intense on days when malaise feeling is stronger and vice versa. The fatigued has varied in intensity from total body shut down (rare) to a fatigued/low energy feeling/want to sleep feeling (common). Muscles and whole body feel tired. Little motivation to work.
3. Depression - This started in late December for the first time and is the first I have ever experienced in my life. Have an episode about once per week now and is usually triggered by hopeless thoughts regarding my undiagonsed illness.
4. Lactose Intolerance - Started about the same time as the malaise (October 2013).
5. Weight loss - about 15 pounds since October 2013 (from 160 to 145). Maybe due to paleo diet/anti candida diet though?
*2 PCPs - All standard blood tests done. Completely normal. HIV negative.
*2 IDs - Lyme and Mono tested. Negative for both.
*Gastroenterologist - CT Scan normal, Endoscopy found minor GERD but everything else normal, Colonoscopy found benign polyps but everything else normal
*Psychologist - Said I was probably depressed but said depression wouldn't explain malaise?
*Allergist - Standard testing done. All normal.
*3 Endocrinologists - Hormone levels and other endocrine/thyroid tests normal
*Orthopaedic Surgeon - Said metal plate implant in arm was not cause of symptoms
*Acupuncturist - Month of treatment. Claimed adrenal fatigue.
*Homeopathic - Put on paleo/gluten free diet for several weeks. Symptoms still present.
*Chronic Illness Specialist - Put on anti-candida diet and anti yeast medication. Slight improvement but minor.
At this point I was wondering if I possibly had CFS? I really don't fit the criteria TOO well and can still work out at the gym most days and feel a little better after (and the next day or two there are no side effects). It is a struggle b/c I don't feel great, but I able to do it. With the lack of a real cure, I'm hoping this is not what has been troubling me.
If not CFS, could this ALL be caused by depression? I know fatigue and depression can be a chicken or the egg scenario, but what about the malaise feeling? I feel as if my depression is mild and am generally pretty happy with my life, but I guess sometimes depression is not something that can be controlled?
Any other thoughts? Doctors I should see? Some sort of specialist I have not scene? Or test I have not done?
Note: I posted a similar question a few months ago, but have new information and wanted to specifically ask about CFS and depression in hopes someone may have experience similar symptoms. Thanks for any insight you may have. I'm lost at this point.