My mother collects coffee mugs from different places, and I have a bit of a tradition of giving her mugs for Christmas. Since I'm now living in Los Angeles, I really want to get her some L.A. mugs to match all the New York ones I used to get her when I lived on the other side of the country.
The problem? I don't really know where to start in finding what I want.
- I don't want to get her anything from Starbucks. My mom is not one of the many people who collects Starbucks paraphernalia. She just wants regular mugs.
- I want to pick out something that looks nice. Iconically cheeseball is fine (a la the I <3 NY mug), but ugly touristy junk is not really what I'm going for. I'm reluctant to start at the many janky souvenir shops on Hollywood Blvd, but I will if that's my only option.
- My mom lives in New Orleans and has no context for something like Jo's On Third or Intelligentsia. Mugs from local businesses might
be a possibility if it has some reference to Los Angeles, Hollywood, etc. right in the name, but otherwise probably not.
- I'm pretty neutral on LA sports teams or universities, but it could work. Same goes for local museums or other cultural stuff. Again, my mom is not from here and has no idea what the Disney Concert Hall or the Getty or the LA Kings even are (and only nominal awareness of UCLA and USC), but if you guys think they make the best mugs, I'm open to it.
- My mom is not really a movie or TV person, though she does watch Ellen, and I have access to Ellen swag. An Ellen mug is backup if there is SERIOUSLY not a cool Los Angeles mug out there.
I guess what I'm really looking for is the Los Angeles equivalent to Fish's Eddy
. Does that exist? Is there some little local boutique that sells stylish LA-centric home stuff?
I would prefer a bricks and mortar store, as we are getting down to the wire for shipping. I'll go anywhere, but I'd prefer somewhere in central LA (or potentially Burbank) east of the 405. I'd like to keep it under $30.
Suggestions? If you have cool local home accessories, where did you get them?