Help with gift for Dad
December 17, 2013 10:01 AM Subscribe
I need help finding a Christmas gift for my dad. I'm looking for:
- Something that requires occasional hands on -- a project, but not a full-time project
- Something a little science-projecty and geeky, but that does not involve a computer (he's 72 and not terribly computer literate; he does have an iPad, though)
- Something that has a definable end result
- Something he can attend to while my folks spend three months in their RV this winter
- Most likely something plant-related
posted by mudpuppie to Home & Garden (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I was thinking something along the lines of a kit that helps you hybridize vegetables (tomatoes or peppers), or maybe a kit that helps you clone orchids, or a kit that lets you graft one thing onto something else, or something like that that requires some high-level gardening skills and some engineering. (He's a retired engineer. Oh, and he's already done some tomato grafting, so I don't want to duplicate that.)
He already does tomato seedlings when they park their RV in Arizona from January-March. I'd like to find something else along those lines that he can fiddle with. Google isn't helping me, and I need some additional ideas.
I've read the archives and posts with the 'gift' tag. No one here has ever shopped for my father, apparently.