Help me to find some party piano songs.
May 29, 2012 10:59 AM Subscribe
Looking for suggestions of intermediate level piano pieces suitable for parties/get togethers with friends.
posted by sherlockt to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (9 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I started taking piano lessons a few years ago and finally feel that a lot of intermediate pieces are within my grasp. I'm taking lessons with a teacher who is classically oriented - the teacher is great, and I'm learning a lot from the pieces we are working on and want to continue the classical approach in my lessons.
However. . .I've been taking lessons long enough that when people come over to my house they want to hear me play some songs for them. The classical stuff I'm working on just doesn't have that relaxed/cool vibe I'm looking for when entertaining friends, so I'm looking to build a "party repertoire".
Here are some more specific guidelines of what I'm looking for:
1. Popular songs are OK, but I don't have a great singing voice and a lot of pop stuff falls flat when you play it in isolation from the lyrics.
2. Nothing too brooding/quiet/reflective. I'm a huge fan of nocturnes, for instance, but that's not the mood I want to set at a party.
3. Nothing too sweet or syrupy.
4. Nothing with complicated syncopation, large hand jumps, or really fast finger work throughout the piece (for example, most ragtime stuff would probably be a little over my head technique-wise at this point).
5. Pop culture references - tv/movie/video game themes - would probably be fun and would get a laugh or two. Reference point - most of my friends fall into late 20s-mid 30s age range.
What new music should I learn?