[TravelFilter] Two weeks in Hong Kong - what should three twenty-somethings do after we've eaten all the dim sum?
Myself and two buddies are heading to Hong Kong for 2 weeks in late Jan/early Feb as our "we successfully conquered undergrad!" trip. So we're early twenties and looking for some adventures.
Now it's time for the fun part: figuring out what we should do, see, eat, and drink, and MeFi has a knack for personalized recommendations. Personality-wise, I'd place us in the sorta hipster-techie box, degrees in Computer Science and Linguistics amongst us (in case there's anything super nerdy we'd enjoy). Here's some specific areas we'd like recommendations about:
- Cultural immersion -- I personally tend to like to travel places for a while and really immerse myself in it, see the local stuff, don't do more than ~1 touristy thing every couple of days. I tend to spend a lot of time walking around cities, sitting in cafes, blogging as I go, trying to pick up a little bit of the language. It's a personal goal of mine to be able to navigate the dim sum experience in cantonese after this trip, for example (resources on this also welcome -- I already know Japanese so maybe I should focus on the writing system?)
- Nature/hiking/temples/good views from all those mountains surrounding the city -- favorite spots?
- Crazy nightlife -- we're early twenties, we like partying. I've heard the expat nightlife scene is somewhat segregated from the more local one (Wan Chai?)... what shouldn't we miss? We like the whole deal: bars, pubs, clubs, and whatever other shenanigans we can find.
- Maybe some good shopping? -- we're 2 guys, 1 girl, we like fashion.
- Good food, duh -- I imagine it's everywhere, but if there's any special places, please share.
- Places to find other twenty-somethings to hang out with -- maybe student-life kind of places at universities? It'd be cool to make some temporary friends / party buddies.
- Other places we can/should visit -- Since two weeks is a while, even though I like to do the whole slow, hanging out, immersion type of tourism, my travel buddies and I are definitely up for checking out some places elsewhere in Asia. We've had suggestions to go to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (and Macau since it's right there). Should we go? How long would you recommend for these places? We aren't interested in going to Japan, since two of us have been there lots of times before and are looking for new places.
- Anything else we shouldn't miss! We know almost nothing so far!
And yes, I have seen previously
but as we're there for longer, maybe some other recommendations make sense as well.