Can you help me to diagnose this odd visual/neuro problem that I am having?
December 3, 2011 10:50 AM Subscribe
I am having these dizziness/mental/perception issues that I need help diagnosing. I will see a doctor as soon as it is possible for me. I am looking for some insight.
posted by denverco to Health & Fitness (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
First things first, I am going to see a doctor soon for this. I am asking for help here to try to narrow down what my problem might be. I have been having weird perception or neurological issues for quite a while. Here is what I experience:
- Feels almost like being very tipsy. Hard to concentrate, hard to focus eyes.
- Typically happens in large rooms. I have noticed it happening with large groups.
- If I turn my focus to a projector in the room (a screen), it feels like it gets much better.
- Might be related to fluorescent lighting.
The issue is not a minor one. It has significantly interfered with my professional life. At these large group meetings I feel almost as if I am tired and falling asleep, but I am not. I have to "shake off" the feeling and it is persistent. The above observations are just the best I can offer.
Some things I have tried to see if it would help:
- Actually bought a blood glucose tester when I was feeling odd and my blood glucose was normal (~92).
- I have tried drinking coffee right before, sleeping plenty, not drinking alcohol. Same effect.
- Happens even when standing in a very well lit room. I have to rock back and forth because I feel so uncomfortable. I can't focus on what is being said.
1) Friday at 4:00PM, having just eaten and not tired, I am standing in a room with about 100 other people watching an important speaker. About 1:00 into his speech, I start having trouble focusing with my eyes, I feel very strange, I keep having to "shake off" the weird feeling. I feel hot.
2) Thursday sitting in a conference room with fluorescent lights watching a speaker. Same feeling, but it gets much better if I turn and look at the projection screen.
Any ideas? Blood pressure is normal/bit high, blood glucose is fine. Eyes are good because of laser surgery. I do drink caffeine and alcohol sometimes, but I tried refraining.