The Unidentified Sculpture

Please tell me everything about this statue in Reykjavik, Iceland, purportedly a celebration of the "Unknown Bureaucrat" or "Unknown Civil Servant." Is it satire? Who is the sculptor? What's the true title and date of installation?

I don't think this can be its true title, since Google only reveals tourists' photographs under that search term. Most Icelanders I talked to about it thought it was probably a joke, but perhaps it makes sense as a serious memorial for a country without a military?

Anyway, I love it. Tell me everything!
posted by anotherpanacea to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

It is what you read into it. I read a serious joke. Or joking seriousness. I love it.

The name in icelandic is "Óþekkti embættismaðurinn". This is the Googleable term. The sculptor's name is Magnús Tómasson, and the piece is from 1993. Some more info in Icelandic. Seems he made the Jet Nest sculpture at Keflavík airport.
posted by krilli at 5:16 AM on August 12, 2011

Awesome, thanks!
posted by anotherpanacea at 5:29 AM on August 12, 2011

Thanks for noticing it! :)
posted by krilli at 6:12 AM on August 12, 2011

« Older I'm taking a medication that s...   |  How to deal with post-depressi... Newer »