HTPC or plethora of appliances is the question
April 6, 2011 3:11 PM Subscribe
I am debating between getting a Mac Mini Vs getting having a few different appliances in the house. Am sharing a description of what I think I need and what my options are and what my initial evaluation is. Thoughts from others will be appreciated!
posted by shalam to Computers & Internet (20 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Here is what I need:
Need to have
1. Be able to stream iTunes content to two rooms (bedroom and family room)
2. Be able to view videos on a hard disk in both rooms - any format MKV, DVD etc
3. Be able to play DVDs - the few times that I decide to rent or to view my own DVDs
4. Be able to stream video from the Internet - many services available now
Good to have
- NAS - one that allows me access to my files from a remote location. More importantly one that I can back-up to within the house.
- NAS - one that creates some redundancy for my main files as well as my personal videos (those that I have shot using a camcorder)
- Mac Mini
+ Can take care of all the Need to have above and the Good to have. Fewer cables, fewer boxes!
- It is tad expensive - although I could argue that it will hold some value after three years - as opposed to a mix of Boxee, Apple TV etc that I buy
- It will require some maintenance just as all computers typically requires
- Boxee, Apple TV and a DVD player
- Apple TV to play iTunes content - that too the older variety because the new ones want a computer running in the house to stream iTunes content
- Boxee for videos - offline and online
- DVD player - for when I need it
Negative is - too many boxes. Too many cables.
Positive is - I save some money upfront. And all of these are appliances - so low to no maintenance.
Have others here faced similar decisions? What path did you adopt?