MediaFilter: Does what I want exist? I want to stream media to my home theater, but...
I'm well aware of products from Roku Labs
that will start to fit my needs - but I can't seem to find exactly what I want. Creative's Soundblaster Wireless Music
gets close - but only does music, and has received rather bad reviews
[scroll down to USER reviews] as far as transmission quality and remote range goes.
- I want a box to stream music from one of my computers to my home stereo
- Videos would be a huge bonus, and considering a Roku Soundbridge is $199 - I'm thinking videos almost become necessary because of the high price point. It's somewhat negotiable though, as music is my main need.
- My living room is large, so the LCD screen and navigation must be huge and easy to use, or it must let me navigate the media via display on my TV
"Do not" Criteria:
- I do not have Windows XP Media Center Edition, so the "Media Center Extender" is out of the question for now.
- I do not want to spend the money building a silent "media center PC" - my entertainment center cabinet is already way too hot anyway, and I wouldn't feel comfortable adding a PC to the mix even if I had the time/$$. If someone has ideas for an affordable and relatively painless way to build a silent PC, I'm open to it, but I'm thinking that it's unlikely the price will be right.
- I really don't want to spend any more than $250-$300 if at all possible.
Is what I'm asking for totally ludicrous and impossible to find? I can't seem to find a "roundup" of these streaming media boxes anywhere.
I wish, with its video out, my iPod Photo could display its navigation on the TV screen allowing me to just control it with a remote... problem would be solved. Sadly, it will only display slideshows.