Wherever you are, it is your friends who make your world
December 23, 2010 7:52 AM Subscribe
I'm a woman in my 30s. Six months ago, I moved cities to be with my boyfriend. Things with him are going pretty well, but I really, really miss my old friends, and I really need to make some new friends. How can I make some new friends?
posted by anonymous to human relations (16 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite
Some things are making finding new friends harder than usual:
* I am sometimes quite shy/socially anxious. (Yes, I am seeing a counsellor.)
* At the moment, I am not working due to health reasons, so I don't have coworkers to draw on.
* My boyfriend has social anxiety and an extremely small social circle, so I can't really draw on his friends.
* I have migraines, arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia (among other health issues), so sometimes I need to cancel social plans at the last minute due to being in pain/exhausted/unsafe to drive.
* I walk with the assistance of a quad cane (a four-footed walking stick), and this seems to make some people acutely uncomfortable, especially since I am so young to be using a walking stick.
p.s. If it helps, I am mainly interested in meeting people between 30-ish and 45-ish who can be described with one or more of the following adjectives: science fiction fan, arty, creative, voracious reader, feminist, lefty, atheist.