moment of my life? The best blogs about being frugal, DIY, crafty, freegan, coupon-clipping, urban homesteaders, or just plain broke?
I am looking for blogs about how to live the good life without spending money, and about how to deal with financial difficulties.
I'm trying to figure out how to do most everything without spending money these days. I need to:
- eat (by couponing, dumpster-diving, growing my own vegetables),
- travel (by repairing my bike, while selling my car),
- blend in at the office (by bathing with homemade or free toiletries, mastering the DIY haircut, reviving my worn-out wardrobe at Goodwill or otherwise),
- celebrate the holidays (by making cards and presents, by somehow aggregating or trading credit card points for one rental car trip I must make),
- do minor house repairs (using the tool lending library and recycled building materials),
- and keep my health and spirits up during this hard time (by making healthier food and exercising despite the dark).
Just as one example, I recently realized that the cheapest way to eat would be to plant these seeds I had sitting in my cupboard. So now, I have all these tiny vegetable seedlings. They'll need bigger pots soon, so I'm looking for free/cheap containers, soil, and compost. Some blogger must be all over this, right?
And I'm aware that people can make their own soap and cleaning supplies, but how? Everything is a new research project. I'd love to find good blogs to help, be they about one category (frugal eating, frugal crafting), or be they about others' adventures in dramatically cutting expenditures.
The other category of blog I'd like is personal finance by or for people who have experienced financial emergencies. I know and love several of the most popular personal finance blogs, but their audience seems less broke than I am at the moment. Much of the information still applies, but I'd also like to find one with stories like "Protecting your credit during this difficult time."
I found a few great Ask Metafilter questions
on frugal living or frugality blogs, but if you remember one, I'm sure I haven't found them all yet. Most of all, I am looking for blogs and bulletin boards so that I can get ongoing advice and a sense of camaraderie.