Which soundbar do I pick? And will it work the way I want it to?
November 14, 2010 10:03 PM Subscribe
Questions & Recommendations about 'Soundbar' Style Speakers that Simulate 5.1 Surround Sound without 5 speakers
posted by darkgroove to Technology (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I am about to move, and in the interest of getting rid of all my extraneous stuff, I want to get rid of my 5.1 surround sound system and replace it.
There are a few things that I'm unsure about and also want some recommendations.
1. It seems that a lot of these soundbars act as a receiver as well as a speaker. Will that be a problem if I already have a receiver that I love? I really only need it to be a speaker. (I have numerous components)
2. I don't want a cheap soundbar. I have no problem spending up to $1,200 for a good soundbar that I can mount to the wall underneath the TV that has awesome sound.
3. Any recommendations? I was leaning towards the Yamaha YSP-4000 which has an MSRP of $1,999 but can be picked up on eBay for around $700.
4. Is there anything else I should know? I will do equal amounts of music listening and movie watching.
5. Does anyone have one of these and have anything to say about them? I know I won't get perfect 5.1 sound, but I'm okay with that as long as I can just have one speaker instead of running tons of wires!