My last bike was flattened in a building demolition 4 years ago. True story.
November 7, 2010 10:36 PM Subscribe
As a novice buying a bike for an urban commute, what should I keep in mind?
posted by foursentences to sports, hobbies, & recreation (33 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
- I commute half a mile, twice a day M-F, in a suburban part of a large city.
- Next year I'll probably commute about a mile through downtown.
- I'm not terrifically fit, though I have freakishly strong legs.
- I'm not certain I'll love this sport.
1) If I buy a cheap ($80) used bike from a fellow student my height, and then get it tuned up professionally by a highly-rated local shop -- am I likely to have a bad experience?
2) Do I really need a $50 lock to keep my bike safe (in this admittedly dishonest part of town), or is this salesman bullshitting me?
3) Will a "cruiser" suffice?
4) Any specific tips for a rank amateur, either for enjoying the experience or for buying or accessorizing intelligently?