They said they'd "take care of me"... what does that mean?
July 14, 2010 1:43 PM Subscribe
Someone hit my car and left a note, I have their insurance info and have started a claim with their insurance company. What can I expect? (Michigan, USA)
posted by Vorteks to law & government (8 answers total)
Earlier this week my car was hit while parked on the street. When I returned to my car I found a sizable dent and paint damage. The person who hit me left a note with a cell phone number. I first called my insurance company, who told me to get the other driver's insurance company and then make a claim with them. I called the other driver, and asked for their policy number. I then called their insurance company and made a report. Their insurance company (Progressive) said they will "get me taken care of" after they verify some things with the other driver. Since I've never been through this process before (I've been hit before, but this is the first time anyone's ever left a note!), I want to know just exactly what I can expect. Specifically:
- How long will it take the insurance company to process the claim?
- Will they send someone to inspect the damage?
- Will I be able to take my car anywhere I want for repairs, or does the insurance company get to pick where they send me?
- What compensation am I legally entitled to? Repair costs only? Do I get a rental car?
- Are there any "gotchas" in the process that I should be aware of?
This is in Michigan, USA. I promise not to treat answers as legal advice. Thanks Mefites!