Do Androids stream my electric beeps?
June 22, 2010 12:11 PM Subscribe
[Yet another Android app question]
Android music app choices look to be slim. Looking for recommendations for playback, streaming and recording apps.
posted by sprocket87 to technology (8 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
I'm seriously considering ditching AT&T (cursed lame data plans, ugh!) and picking up a Sprint EVO 4G. I'm a smartphone power user (WM, Symbian, iPhone, you name it) and I've been spoiled by the great app selection on other platforms, especially the iPhone.
Android looks to be sorely lacking in the multimedia arena. For instance, I'm having a hard time finding any decent audio recording apps. Yes, there are several voice note recorders, but there don't appear to be any multi-track recorders (there is an abundance for the iPhone). Similarly, digital music sequencers are few and look pretty awful.
However, since I don't yet have an Android phone it's possible there is more out there than I'm realizing. So I'm looking for suggestions for the following:
- Best local music/multimedia playback apps (DoubleTwist seems to be the rage right now, but is there anything better?)
- Best streaming audio apps (any comments on Rhapsody? What's the best webradio app between Pandora/last.fm/Slacker/etc?)
- Best music recording apps (multitrack recording would be phenomenal - this was one of my favorite capabilities on the iPhone. Bonus points for other good musician-related apps besides gStrings)
- Any good music creation apps, such as electronic sequencers or trackers?
- Is there a good reliable DLNA player (I have a Netgear ReadyNAS acting as a DLNA server; can I stream these tracks easily and reliably to an Android via WiFi?)
- Any good "remote control" apps to control playback of a music player on a PC, DLNA or otherwise?
- Decent XBMC remote/integration?
Anything else you want to share with a prospective Android user would be appreciated as well (I've done plenty of reading, but user comments - especially power users' - are helpful).