How do I solve this Windows File Share problem?
February 3, 2010 6:07 PM Subscribe
Why do I keep getting "Enter network password" when adding users to a remote share in a Workgroup in Windows XP Pro?
posted by jspierre to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Here's the setup:
- All computers running XP PRO SP3, NTFS file system
- All computers part of a workgroup called "WORKGROUP" (No Domain)
- One machine (XP PRO SP3, NTFS) acting as file server
- ALL computers have simple file sharing turned OFF
- All users and passwords are EXACTLY the same on each machine
- All computers are on the same router and same subnet
- I have tried rebooting each machine in question and the router to no avail.
- Everything EXCEPT this problem works fine on my network
Here's what I try to do (I've changed account names to simplify):
1. I Log into a Computer named "computer" as "Admin" (where admin is an account in the Administrators group on each machine)
2. From "computer", I browse to a share on a remote computer named "server". The share is called "shared" and everyone in the Users group has Modify access (Administrators have Full Control)
3. I go to a subfolder within "shared" called "restricted" and go to Properties -> Security
4. I notice that I (user "admin") have, correctly, Full Control access to the folder. Now, I want to add a user named "Bob" to this shared folder named "restricted" so he can have access to it.
5. I click "Add"
6. The "Select Users or Groups" dialogue comes up. The "From this location" box correctly shows the location I'm trying to select from as "server".
7. I type "Bob" in the "Enter the object names to select" box (note, too, that Bob ALREADY exists on "server" as a user and has the same password on both machines and, yes, has logged in at least once on each machine)
8. When I click OK, I am prompted with "Enter Network Password" dialogue. This is bizarre: why am I being prompted for a password when my account (admin) already exists on the target "server"?
9. I type in my user name and password anyway ("admin").
10. I get the "Name not found" dialogue box. Why? The user "bob" exists on "server" so it should be found.
11. Trying a different approach, I go back to the "Select Users or Groups" dialogue box and click "Advanced" and then "Find Now" to hopefully list all of the accounts on the remote "server".
12. The list that is returned does not include a single user! Only built-in user groups are returned in the list.
13. If logged onto the server itself, even through Remote Desktop, this problem does not occur. It only happens when I try to add users to an existing share from another computer. Also, the file shares work otherwise perfectly: the permissions set on each share and folder work perfectly and deny or permit access as defined. Only adding users to a share is screwed up.
14. One final note: I created a share on a different computer called "test". I tried to perform the same functions and got the same problematic result! Is this just something with XP Pro where you are not allowed to search remote accounts? I could've sworn I was able to do this in the past...
What is going on? Why am I unable to view remote objects on the server? Is this a limitation of Windows XP Professional or is there some security setting somewhere that is messed up? I'm going nuts trying to figure this out and even though my Google-fu is powerful, I could find no one else complaining of this same problem.
Help me, please!