How can me and my girlfriend successfully live together in a small place?
April 23, 2009 9:41 AM Subscribe
Help me and my girlfriend combine our two lives into one small apartment (mine)!
posted by ORthey to home & garden (31 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite
My girlfriend will be moving in with me at the end of the summer (September 1st or thereabouts), and though we are both extremely excited, we are concerned about the space. I live in a one-bedroom apartment, where I have lived alone for the past two years. It's a great size for one person, but will be challenging for two. I don't have the square footage, but it consists of a smallish living room, tiny kitchen, a medium-sized bedroom, and a bathroom. We will eventually move to a bigger place when we can afford it, but for now, that's not an option.
I'm looking for tips and advice on how to do this successfully, on how to physically combine our things and live together in a way that will maximize our chances of making it work in a small space. We'd love creative storage ideas (especially for clothes), suggestions for products that could help, etc.
- I have a small closet filled with junk... at her place, she has a closet maybe three times the size of mine, also filled. I can get rid of some stuff, and so can she, but not a ton. I don't have any other storage to speak of, at least in the conventional sense.
- I have several musical instruments lying around.
- Not much space under the bed, but a little.
- Her dresser, which is beautiful and is something she's attached to, is very large.
- This is in Berkeley, California.
Thanks! Please ask if I left out any important details. Also, I tried as best I could to search for a question like this but came up empty. If you know of one please link to it!