Put me to sleep!
October 2, 2008 6:10 AM Subscribe
Why do I refuse to go to sleep, even though I'm tired, I need to get up early, and I'm not even doing anything fun? (long description follows)
posted by anonymous to health & fitness (34 answers total) 60 users marked this as a favorite
I know this is a pretty stupid question, but I can't seem to fix this self-control issue and it's screwing up my life. I started an internship a few months ago, and I'm finding that I need to be a lot more conscious and awake than I ever had to be in university. But even though I know I have to get up for work early the next day, and even though I'm exhausted from only having had 3 or 4 hours of sleep the night before, I simply will not go to sleep. I mean that I tell myself, "you should sleep, you're getting up early, you've slept late every night this week, go to bed" and I still don't move.
Part of it is my quasi-internet/computer addiction, probably; when I actually pull myself away from the computer, my tiredness hits me, I can't keep my eyes open, and I pretty much fall into bed. At the same time, I didn't have computer access for a while and I kept myself up anyways, reading books or writing a journal or other things like that. The even weirder thing is that now, with the computer, I feel too guilty to actually do anything fun so long as I'm aware that I'm putting off sleep; thinking of playing a game is met with "There is no way you are going to play a game when it's two in the morning and you need to get up at 6" but I still can't seem to make myself sleep, so I end up just reloading MeFi or RSS feeds for hours - and I'm in a time zone where nothing is even updating or being posted, so it's utterly useless.
Another thing that might be relevant is that I seem to have some sort of subconscious quota. If I get home at 7 and bum around until it's time for bed, I can usually stir myself to sleep by 12 (later than I'd like, but livable); on the other hand, on days where I have activities and I don't get home till 10 or so, I'm much more likely to be up doing nothing until 3am.
I don't know how much you all can help me, since I guess this is a bit of a personal issue, but the hive seems to have given great answers to all sorts of personal issues in the past, and I'm at my wit's end. If you've had this sort of problem before, or you have some advice, please pass it along! Anything will be deeply appreciated!
In the interests of giving as much info as possible since this is anon:
- Female, twenty, lightweight gamer, heavy internet user. Right now, living alone (but in a dormitory).
- I do this occasionally when I'm in university too, but not nearly as much, and I don't need to be as awake. In university I need to get homework done daily, while with work I'm completely free once I'm home.
- This is only my second internship. It will be over in 8 months and then I'll go back to school, but I don't want this to continue when I have a job for real some day.
- Therapy seems to be a common suggestion, but it isn't a possibility right now because I'm in a foreign country and my command of the language is not great.
- Throwaway email account at: firstname.lastname@example.org