How much to charge for a t-shirt design?
September 10, 2008 2:21 PM Subscribe
I've been asked to design a t-shirt for a well-known band on a major label, but I don't know what the going rate is for the work. I saw this question
, but I'm not fresh out of school, and that's a question about bulk work, which this will not be. I'm open to charging a flat-rate or my hourly, but am unclear which is appropriate in this situation.
posted by apetpsychic to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Assuming a flat-rate is appropriate...I know there are some variables involved, but here are the pertinent infos as I see it:
• the band is on a major label
• they seem to appeal to 14 - 20 year olds (people who actually buys band t-shirts)
• I saw at least 8 of their shirts for sale online through those generic online apparel stores, so it will probably enter the wild
• the shirt is for a tour where they'll probably sell a bunch every night (should I quote based on initial print run numbers? I'd rather not use a percentage of sales, because I don't think I'd get those numbers without much hassle)
• I anticipate, and really don't care about, losing rights to the design, but want to compensate for that loss appropriately
Anything I'm not considering?
Thanks for your help!