Where do I send old super 8 film to be developed?
March 14, 2008 6:03 PM   Subscribe

I've got four rolls of undeveloped super 8 film that I shot almost six years ago, and I would like to know if I'm out of luck or if I could still try to get them developed. Warning: I don't know anything about this stuff.

Background: After a forest fire destroyed my family's cabin in Colorado in 2002, my parents, cousin, and I went and sorted through the melted glass and metal that was left behind. Beforehand, a friend had loaned me her super 8 camera and 4 rolls of film, to document what we saw there. I shot the rolls but never got them developed; I would like to do so now.

All 4 rolls are 50 ft. I'm going to just type exactly what it says on the boxes.

1) Kodachrome 40 color movie film, Type A, KMA 464
2) Eastman Ektachrome color reversal film, 7240
3) Tri-X reversal film, 7278, TXR 464
4) same as 3

The Tri-X's are black and white, right? I've researched this as much as I can and I'm posting links here so you can let me know if I'm sniffing in the right places. It seems like Dwayne's Photo in Kansas will do the Kodachrome, and Yale Film and Video in Burbank, CA will do the two rolls of Tri-X. But this wikipedia page is saying things about Kodachrome being discontinued and the development process for K40 no longer being sanctioned. And I can't find anything about the Ektachrome. So am I out of luck? Thanks for any & all help.
posted by sleevener to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
These guys might be able to help.
I have a couple of cans of regular 8 that my Dad shot 40 years ago that I keep meaning to send in...
posted by Thorzdad at 6:22 PM on March 14, 2008

Dwayne's Photo can handle the Kodachrome and the Ektachrome. Order it "Prepped for telecine," which means they splice the small rolls onto one bigger roll. Yale Film and Video can develop the tri-x. They can then make a DVD or other digital file from the film so you can watch it without using a projector.
posted by conrad53 at 6:24 PM on March 14, 2008

I'm pretty sure Dwaynes will handle the K40 for you. Check out onsuper.org, it's a great resource for all things S8.
posted by popcassady at 6:45 PM on March 14, 2008

...that should be onsuper8.org.
posted by popcassady at 6:46 PM on March 14, 2008

I had 4600 feet of Super8 tape transferred by HomeMovieDepot.com for Christmas a few years ago @ .18/foot (looks like it's cheaper now, .16/foot). I was happy with the output (and the returned the tape in good condition when they were finished). You can even get them to put the mpegs (or .dv files, if you don't get the Premium transfer) on a hard drive for you. They provide DVDs by default. You can price everything out on their site; the folks I dealt with there via email were pretty responsive and nice.
posted by jenh at 7:23 PM on March 14, 2008

Seconding Rocky Mountain Film. They did an awesome job with stuff I found in my grandfather's Super 8 camera and sent in a couple of years ago, and they sent back some footage of my 5/6 year old self feeding my grandfather's dog. So, for developing 25 year old film, definitely recommended. I assume anything younger than that would come out just as well.
posted by mboszko at 7:32 PM on March 14, 2008

One small thing to note about RMF, it may take them a while to get around to it. They save up film so they can do a whole batch at once and not waste chemicals, so if they've just done a batch it may be a few weeks.
posted by mboszko at 7:39 PM on March 14, 2008

« Older pepper vinegar   |   No! Color in the coloring book, not on Mommy's... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.