What's this illustration style?
December 28, 2003 10:17 AM   Subscribe

I adore the illustration style seen in the flower logo at Infrangible -- single color, simple, early-1900s looking -- and would Google for similar stuff if I knew what it was called. Searching for "retro illustration" and "retro icons" turned up some cool stuff, but not what I'm looking for. Any hints?
posted by Aaorn to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Art Nouveau?
posted by Grangousier at 10:42 AM on December 28, 2003

Looks to me that might be from a dingbat font. Look on font sites.
posted by MegoSteve at 11:04 AM on December 28, 2003

It's from an ornament font, like this...there are free versions of different styles all over the net
posted by amberglow at 11:07 AM on December 28, 2003

It reminds me of William Morris kinda sorta. If it's a dingbat, you might find something similar searching for dingbats or symbols on Identifont. It's a fun and useful site for things like this.
posted by madamjujujive at 11:15 AM on December 28, 2003

Response by poster: You guys rock. Here's what I found to play with.
posted by Aaorn at 12:27 PM on December 28, 2003

it's more arts + crafts than art nouveau, isn't it (ie a bit earlier)? try searching for william morris (as noted above), owen jones, a.w.n. pugin, henry cole, richard redgrave. a nice book that covers from that time onwards is pevsner's "pioneers of modern design".
posted by andrew cooke at 6:43 PM on December 28, 2003

look for woodcuts.
posted by edlundart at 10:16 PM on December 28, 2003

Check out Dingbat Pages for several similar fonts, especially florals and ornaments.
posted by LeiaS at 7:09 AM on December 29, 2003

« Older What online streams do you listen to?   |   Angels in the Bible Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.