Cheap housing in Duluth/Superior
October 21, 2020 2:12 PM   Subscribe

Someone I care about is very close to being homeless in the Duluth/Superior area. Trying to figure out how to find cheap housing quickly.

She is currently staying in a domestic violence shelter but her time there is running out. If she can't figure out a place to live, she may wind up going back to the abusive relationship as she doesn't know where else to go. How can she find super cheap housing in the area? She is working currently but not making a lot of money. Her credit is poor. I can help with the deposit and first month but that's about it. She applied for housing assistance but apparently that takes a while to get, if she even qualifies since she has a job.

How can she find an apartment for cheap, quickly? A non-roommate solution would be preferred, but any advice would be helpful.
posted by sock puppy to Work & Money (4 answers total)
Couchsurfing, housesitting, petsitting ....
posted by aniola at 3:49 PM on October 21, 2020

Best answer: I can't imagine you're going to find much around here for less than $550/mo.

Housing is really crappy for that price, too. Duluth/Superior is always tight, and right now there are over 100 people living outside up here.
posted by RedEmma at 11:39 AM on October 22, 2020 [1 favorite]

Best answer: I am really surprised that the domestic violence shelter isn’t helping her with housing. The MN state domestic violence coalition states that access to safe, affordable housing for everyone is one of their goals. Please use the link to find out more.

Personally, I would contact the coalition themselves and see what they can do to help. If the shelter she’s in isn’t helping, maybe she can try another - the page linked above has info about other shelters. The Crime Victims Reparations funding is supposed to help with this.

I work for a domestic violence agency in another state. If you need more help with this, feel free to MeMail me. Or contact me via twitter (in my profile), because I check that more often.
posted by MexicanYenta at 8:36 AM on October 23, 2020

Best answer: I talked to our executive director, and she said your friend should ask the advocate at the shelter she’s at about being referred to CES (Coordinated Entry System.) This is a nationwide program where shelters specifically work with HUD to help victims with housing. Honestly, helping to find housing is one of the main things that DV shelters do, so if they’re not helping, she may want to contact the state coalition.
posted by MexicanYenta at 9:33 AM on October 23, 2020

« Older Online acting classes for teen   |   I'm in a hothouse! Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments