wireless transmitter receiver set for home studio headphones?
April 17, 2016 1:14 PM   Subscribe

I currently use a nice set of wired headphones attached to my audio interface in my home studio. The wire is a pain especially when playing guitar or drums. What's the best/cheapest way to get a transmitter attached to my audio interface and a receiver plugged into my existing headphones? I understand that the receiver will likely be battery operated but if the transmitter could be plugged into a power source that'd be a bonus. Specific product recommendations especially welcome. Thanks!
posted by merocet to Technology (1 answer total)
Best answer: Wireless in-ear monitor system is probably the simplest answer. (Example, this Shure PSM-200 system.) Most "pro" headphones these days have a small 1/8" plug on the end of the cable (same size as mp3 player earbuds or laptop audio out jack) with an adapter to the larger size 1/4" "standard" headphone plug screwed or plugged onto that. Take off that adapter and you can plug your nice headphones into the receiver beltpack of the in-ear system.

Like most pro/semi-pro audio stuff, you tend to more or less get what you pay for, so the cheapest cheapest stuff will not sound good, will wear your ears out quicker, or break quicker, or etc etc. For just tracking/playing the budget systems from some of the name brands (Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica) should be just fine, although I dunno if I'd use them for mixing or critical listening.
posted by soundguy99 at 11:30 AM on April 18, 2016

« Older Car was stolen. No comprehensive. Now what?   |   Electric Car Owning Experience Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.