ID this typeface?
July 21, 2014 12:59 PM   Subscribe

Can someone id this typeface for me? Likely late 1800s-early 1900s.
posted by PussKillian to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
Although you might find a type which roughly matches, the writing in the image is hand-lettered.
posted by Thing at 1:15 PM on July 21, 2014 [2 favorites]

Yeah, that looks pretty clearly hand-calligraphed to me; look at the subtle differences between each 'a', for example.
posted by igowen at 1:17 PM on July 21, 2014 [1 favorite]

Hmm, ok - a suggestion for a typeface that is in the same ballpark would be appreciated, then. Clean, elegant, easy to read.
posted by PussKillian at 1:19 PM on July 21, 2014

That looks hand-lettered to me, although you might have some luck finding a font in a similar style using search terms like "edwardian": e.g. Howlett, Crewkerne.
posted by theodolite at 1:19 PM on July 21, 2014

Fontsquirrel has a free font called Kelmscott Roman that is similar in feel.
posted by bcwinters at 1:52 PM on July 21, 2014 [1 favorite]

It's great that the font bcwinters links to is "Kelmscott Roman" because your example looks a lot like the products of the Kelmscott Press under William Morris in the 1890s. You might look into them more if you like that look.
posted by rustcellar at 9:21 PM on July 21, 2014

« Older How do I rehabilitate my SO's image on a message...   |   How can I get started quantifying and tracking my... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.