You see a Facebook friend has commented on a post. So have 1,894 others.
February 20, 2013 9:29 AM   Subscribe

On that scroll that runs on your left-hand side of your Facebook page, you see that a friend has made a comment on a post. The first few words of their comment are visible, but unless you can find the actual full comment they posted, you can''t figure out what they said, and you don't want to scroll through 1,894 comments looking for that one person's thoughts. There must be a simple way to get to their posting, right?
posted by mmf to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Can't you just see the full comment/post appear when you roll over the notification? i've just double-checked and I can do that on mine; also can click on the post title to access it full page.
posted by kitsuloukos at 9:33 AM on February 20, 2013

Can't you just see the full comment/post appear when you roll over the notification?

OP's not talking about notifications, but the stuff that actually shows up on the newsfeed, where there's a picture of some math problem that relies on knowing PEMDAS, and you want to see what your friend commented so you can know if they're stupid or not, but they're one of several thousand so it's basically impossible to find.

You can do this, but not easily. You can scroll through the comments until you find the right timeframe (look at the post above this one to see what time it was, and the post below, and you know that your friend commented on the picture between those two times) and the comment will be somewhere in there. But I'm telling you right now you don't want to do this. It takes way too long, and if my experience is any indication, your friend is only going to say something stupid and disappoint you.
posted by phunniemee at 9:46 AM on February 20, 2013 [12 favorites]

Well, the problem is that you have to keep clicking "View Previous Comments" for 50 more comments each time. Once you've expanded the whole list, you can jsut press "Ctrl+F" (or "Cmd+F" on a mac) and type your friend's name, no?

We're talking about the same thing, right?
posted by tylerkaraszewski at 10:07 AM on February 20, 2013

Hmm. Do you mean the one on the right-hand side of the screen?

If you saw it on the right-hand side scroll, I think there would be a very good chance your friend's comment would be one of the most recent. And if I'm not wrong the most recent comments will be shown without you having to expand anything. You can start your search there.

Other than that... eh. Yeah, the brute force method is the only alternative I know.
posted by rozaine at 12:02 PM on February 20, 2013

If you click on your friend's name to bring up their page (you can do this in a separate tab or window), won't you see their recent activity, including the comment that you are looking for?
posted by CathyG at 12:38 PM on February 20, 2013

Go to your friend's Facebook wall. It should show up under "recent activity."
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 12:38 PM on February 20, 2013

Oh of course I meant the right hand side of the screen!
posted by mmf at 1:39 PM on February 20, 2013

« Older Help on a building an audio experience to...   |   Looking for black powder, white powder Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.