Another word for frape
June 24, 2012 11:07 AM   Subscribe

Is there another word out there to describe "frape"?

"Frape", "facerape", or "facebook-rape" is a term used to describe when someone accesses another person's facebook account and posts something embarrassing. I'd really like to know a word that describes the act, that doesn't invoke sexual violence.
posted by svenni to Computers & Internet (15 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
The historical equivalent is baggy-pantsing.
posted by zamboni at 11:10 AM on June 24, 2012

posted by iviken at 11:15 AM on June 24, 2012

I've seen people use the term "facebook hijack" or describing it as having been "hacked".
posted by fight or flight at 11:26 AM on June 24, 2012 [6 favorites]

Hijacking is good. This also bugs me a lot (as does 99% of what people do with the access, which is usually gay jokes. Urrrrrgh)
posted by yellowbinder at 11:30 AM on June 24, 2012

Yeah I've actually never heard this described as "facebook rape" -- only as "facebook hijacking" or "being a jerk"
posted by brainmouse at 11:46 AM on June 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

Trying and failing to remember the phrase describing sending out amusing emails when someone left themselves logged in in college computer labs ...
posted by rr at 11:53 AM on June 24, 2012

I'd say hijack.

People who describe the consequences of voluntarily giving away their login credentials or leaving themselves logged in where someone else has access as "being hacked" make themselves look stupid to me, since it appears they don't really understand how their account was hijacked in the first place.
posted by grouse at 12:24 PM on June 24, 2012

Among tech people I've heard the term "cheesing" used to describe taking advantage of someone forgetting to lock their screen to post/do embarrassing or annoying things.
posted by jjwiseman at 12:57 PM on June 24, 2012

Although "cheesing" is probably not a good term though due to it also being a common gamers term for "taking the most powerful combo/move and using it repeatedly to win"

Hijacked, sabotaged, hacked, usurped, arrogated, wrongfully ascribed and siezed might be good a good start on non-slang words to try.
posted by samsara at 3:59 PM on June 24, 2012

I've heard it being called a face-jack (as a portmanteau of "Facebook hijack").
posted by titantoppler at 4:49 PM on June 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

The ones based on "hijack" are the only ones where I'd figure out what you mean.
posted by RobotHero at 9:33 PM on June 24, 2012

There is almost certainly a security term (like shoulder surfing or man in the middle attack) to describe getting onto someones computer by waiting until they step away for a moment and then jump on their terminal and quickly do your subterfuge before their password protection kicks in. That said, I don't know and can't find such a term right now.
posted by Kid Charlemagne at 10:06 PM on June 24, 2012

Facejacking (facebook hijacking).
posted by lokta at 1:46 AM on June 25, 2012

Yeah, hijacking.

rr, kids at my college call it "being boxed" when someone else sends an email as you after you forget to log out of your account.
posted by estlin at 4:35 AM on June 25, 2012

Identity theft.
posted by jph at 8:08 AM on June 25, 2012

« Older Do mastermind groups work?   |   What to do about 8 year old stealing Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.