Where can I find the old-style Levis 501s?
March 11, 2005 10:17 PM   Subscribe

Please help me find a store that carries the "original" (pre-2002 or so) original Levi's 501 jeans.

The new style just doesn't work for me. I've done some searching here in San Francisco, and I've even called the Levi's corporate headquarters, but no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
posted by aberrant to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (8 answers total)
ebay. and ebaystores.
posted by yonation at 10:18 PM on March 11, 2005

Response by poster: Oh, I should add: new, not used.

On preview: yonation, I've checked ebay, but can't find my (relatively common) size. I'll give ebaystores a whirl.
posted by aberrant at 10:20 PM on March 11, 2005

Oddly enough, I was looking for the same thing the other day and stumbled upon this.

Hope this is what you were referring to.
posted by sillygit at 11:37 PM on March 11, 2005

What's different about the new ones?
posted by jjg at 12:59 AM on March 12, 2005

Denim Express?
posted by mlis at 7:54 PM on March 12, 2005

try sheplers.com, they have great fits and sizes.
posted by yonation at 11:30 PM on March 12, 2005

Just to be sure... You do realize that the pre-recent chage 501's are no more the originals than the current ones, right? If they just fit you better, then more power to you, but if you're seeking authenticity you are screwed. 501's have been subtly revised several times since their debut:
501 jeans have always had a very high visibility. In fact they ARE Levi's jeans to most people. It has been "evolved" and updated on average every 10 years or so...and these evolutions have always been led by changes in consumer tastes--because youth is about continually moving on...
posted by NortonDC at 4:57 PM on March 13, 2005

Response by poster: jjg: the new ones are looser in the seat, ride lower, and have larger pockets which are set lower.

NortonDC: yes, I realize they've changed, but they didn't change substantially between 1983 (when I started wearing them) until 2002 or so, when they made the changes I describe above. The problem is, they're still called "original 501". I don't know what to call the pre-change ones. I'm looking for fit, not authenticity. :)

Sillygit and MLIS: those look like post-change 501's, unfortunately.
posted by aberrant at 10:30 PM on March 13, 2005

« Older Help identify this painting...   |   Can anyone identify this photo in the New York... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.