Recording music from a Mac to a Windows-only Sony Minidisc

Minidisc question: Is there a quick way to record music (mp3/cd) from a Mac to a Minidisc? (more inside)
posted by dhruva to Computers & Internet (9 answers total)

I have a Sony Net MD, and I'm trying to record music onto it. Google tells me that the only way I can do it is by analog realtime recording. I'd like to stuff more than 70 mins onto a disc but the software Sony provides is Windows only. I'm looking for ways that use the USB connection, I guess.
posted by dhruva at 4:06 PM on February 16, 2005

If Sony doesn't have a Mac port of SonicStage, I'm pretty sure you're out of luck.

Maybe you could get VirtualPC or something and use the Windows version?
posted by cmonkey at 4:15 PM on February 16, 2005

I'm scared to use the Windows version, because the last time I used it on a windows machine, it completely trashed the system and I had to format the hardrive.
posted by dhruva at 4:22 PM on February 16, 2005

If you ran it inside VirtualPC, you could avoid the trashing of the system part pretty easily. I've been playing around with a... demo... copy of VirtualPC for a few days and I'm thoroughly pleased...seems to recognise USB devices just fine.
posted by odinsdream at 5:04 PM on February 16, 2005

The first thing to look at is products by Xitel. I have their first generation rig called the MD-Port AN1. This is a USB to stereo mini analog jack. Some years later they came out with a USB to digital unit called the MD-Port DG2. Xitel's website is at http://www.xitel.com/products.htm. They support both PC and Mac.

Two great sources for minidisk information are MiniDisco and the MD Community.
posted by jhritz at 7:27 PM on February 16, 2005

MD-Port DG2 seems to be PC only. I guess virtual PC is the way to go then.
posted by dhruva at 8:29 PM on February 16, 2005

A word of caution before you spend the big bucks on Virtual PC: It might just be my iBook, but I can NEVER get Virtual PC to work right with my MD. It always hangs or crashes.
posted by hughbot at 5:03 AM on February 17, 2005

Here's how I would do it with the equipment I have:

1) - Burn mp3's to a CD.

2) - Hook CD player to Minidisc recorder with an RCA patch cord.

3) - Record analog.

It's not super-fast, but it works, and not too expensive if you already have the gear.
posted by scottr at 9:41 AM on February 17, 2005

I did some more googling etc, and it seems that there's definitely no way to do what I wanted to do. There is Virtual PC on my system, but apparently the version I have will not play well with USB devices, and so I've decided to stick to the analog route. Thanks, everyone.
posted by dhruva at 5:45 PM on February 17, 2005

« Older Dressy Running Shoes   |   Unique Hostess Gift Newer »