Where to live in or around Green Bay?

I will be relocating to the Green Bay, WI area in about 5 weeks and need advice on where to live.

I would like to rent. I have been looking online (craigslist, local newspaper classifieds, and other rental sites) but I have only spent three days of my life in Green Bay. I do plan to go visit next month for a few days to search for an apartment (or other dwelling) but would like advice on good neighborhoods, complexes, and even towns around Green Bay. Any suggestions are appreciated.
posted by catseatcheese to Home & Garden (4 answers total)

I just moved back to the area. (I went to college at UWGB) And I have to say that if one must live in the Green Bay area, De Pere is the place to live. That is, of course, based on my likes and dislikes.

I like that most things are in walking distance including the second run cinema and a nice little bar/restaurant call Montague's. There's a recreational trail that runs along the river on which you can bike, jog, or exercise pets. The trail is also adjacent to a park at some points. There are several local grocery stores and specialty shops which make walking downtown a low key and fun event.

And now the other side. I find that Green Bay is set up in such a way that getting from one place to another always takes about twenty minutes. The two major highways circle the town of Green Bay proper which means that getting from one side to the other involves take a circuitous highway or driving through town. That's inconvenient when you live on one side and the decent grocery store is on the other. Also, the so-called "good neighborhoods" are near almost nothing in the way of grocery, department, or specialty stores. Those are all located near the highway, on the edges of town. "Good neighborhoods" tend to be nearer to the middle.

On places to live in De Pere, there is a complex called Lawton Foundry. Literally everyone I know who has lived there regrets, on some level, moving out. Even people who went on to purchase their own homes remember the place fondly.

Anyway, I hope that helps and feel free to email me if you've got any further questions which google fails to answer.
posted by SinisterPurpose at 11:36 AM on August 23, 2009

It all depends on what you like.

If you like a collegiate atmosphere then near the river in DePere is nice with the east side being a little nicer.

Basically though Green Bay and it's surrounding towns are almost universally nice and safe with the exception of parts of the east side.

What are you looking for exactly?
posted by Bonzai at 12:17 PM on August 23, 2009

I will not be attending university as I am moving for my job but i wouldn't mind a collegiate atmosphere as long as there were not extremely loud parties every single night of the week. The location of the workplace is somewhere on main street (very descriptive, i know, but as i said i have only been there one time). I have heard from one friend to live in DePere as well. Someone else suggested Appleton but i am not a fan of driving that far to and from work each day (currently have a 5 minute commute). I don't need anything horribly fancy or trendy. Just a place to live that has good management and a garage.
posted by catseatcheese at 4:48 PM on August 23, 2009

Appleton is way too far for a commute. I'm from DePere and would definitely recommend it. There's lot of new condos/apartments in downtown Green Bay, but it's a lot less neighborhoody/vibrant as it's still working out how to recover from the death of the mall there.
posted by mimi at 6:27 PM on August 23, 2009

« Older Looking for an attractive laptop sleeve.   |   Clean pipes vs. leaky sink Newer »