contemplating a move. where to?
January 16, 2014 1:48 PM Subscribe
Thinking about relocating within the US, and looking for some ideas. Can you help suggest some places?
posted by raztaj to Home & Garden (23 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I’m in a flexible enough of a position to move just about anywhere, but have some personal preferences.
- sees yearly temps between averaging around 25-75. I don’t mind some snow, but I like seasons. (I’ve lived in Boston and DC - I much prefer the cold/snow of Boston, than the DC swamp summers which I consider hell on earth)
- I like nature. I feel comforted by water, mountains, and things that are green. I love to be outdoors, but am sun-wary due to a family history of melanoma
- Is either a “small city” that has access to a larger city, or possibly even in a moderately rural landscape that is max 1 hour from a major city and major airport.
- I’m the type of person that likes dense/walkable city, or being in a more green setting. Suburbs, sprawl, and strip malls are not something I can do.
- Has access to trails and paths that I can run/jog/walk on
- Preferably on the socially left leaning side - but not too granola. Middle of the road but leaning left, would be nice. I'm an atheist, so someplace that's not judgy about that is a must.
- I'm introverted and tend to be more of a listener than a talker, but not an extreme introvert. I like my privacy and quietude, but I also like a sense of community and involvement in local affairs
Among the places I’ve lived, are Cambridge, MA & Old Town Alexandria, VA. I loved the access to paths on their respective rivers, ample parks, walkability to all kinds of things, yet “small city” (and lived-in "older city") vibes. I wouldn’t mind something more nature-y, but open to ideas.
Totally aware that I might not be able to get all of these, but recommendations for fitting most of them would be super appreciated!