How do I get rid of this rash on my chest?
August 20, 2009 6:58 AM   Subscribe

What is this rash (warning: man-boobage) on my chest and how do I get rid of it?
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (16 answers total)
Heat rash? Possibly fungal in nature, if so, put some dandruff shampoo on it before you go to sleep and it should help considerably.
posted by 8dot3 at 7:07 AM on August 20, 2009

Could be a topical yeast infection. You can get them in areas that stay moist, such as the boob creases, gut roll creases, downtown creases, and even knee and elbow creases. Doc will sort you out. In the meantime, you could try something like over the counter clotrimazole cream to treat it, some spray antiperspirant to keep the area from sweating (maybe not both at the same time?), and try cutting sugar out of your diet for a while. I'm totally a doctor. Or did I dream that? Hmm, better not count on it just in case.
posted by Askr at 7:21 AM on August 20, 2009

Yeah, looks like heat rash. Gold Bond powder will definitely help.

Does it smell at all? If so, try an anti-fungal cream that contains Clotrimazole or Tolnaftate- stuff for Athlete's Foot or Jock Itch is what you want.
posted by mkultra at 7:24 AM on August 20, 2009

If you think it's yeasty in nature, try these in conjunction with the topical cream Askr mentioned. You can get them at any drug store.
posted by bunny hugger at 7:40 AM on August 20, 2009

Looks like heat rash to me, too.
posted by ocherdraco at 7:53 AM on August 20, 2009

Do you wear a cotton undershirt? If not, try wearing one as it can wick sweat away. If so, try going without as it may be causing excess sweating in that area. Do you sit in a slouched forward position for long periods of time? It looks like that is caused by your "man-boobage" being fooled a bit over the torso. If you're slouching, perhaps straightening up can keep a bit more air circulating there and prevent the skin from contacting.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:09 AM on August 20, 2009

fooled = folded
posted by Burhanistan at 8:10 AM on August 20, 2009

IANAD, but nthing heat rash. It almost looks like you had an underwire pressing against you! Are your clothes tight? Definitely go with looser stuff, and plenty of powder.
posted by Citrus at 8:12 AM on August 20, 2009

Seconding the athlete's foot/ jock itch remedies if it's fungal. I've had success using Lotrimin cream for a week or so.
posted by jenmakes at 8:16 AM on August 20, 2009

My first thought was heat rash.
posted by hermitosis at 8:37 AM on August 20, 2009

I get rashes on the insides of my elbows in the summer. My boyfriend says I'm allergic to myself! I pretty much douse myself in baby powder in the morning and I'm good to go. Try some antifungal cream (for jock itch and the like) and then prevent with Gold Bond powder.
posted by radioamy at 9:17 AM on August 20, 2009

I get heat rash in the summer, and tea tree oil was the only thing that really worked for me. The antifungals made it fade but it came back with a vengeance, sometimes within hours. Tea tree oil, undiluted, on a cotton ball applied maybe two or three times a day and it was gone within a week. (it was actually gone in about 48 hours, but I kept on with the oil for a week just to be sure it wasn't lurking below the surface of my skin to reassert itself)
posted by Kellydamnit at 10:02 AM on August 20, 2009

If it turns out that you are allergic to your own sweat, you may find that talking to a doctor may reveal a good broad-spectrum skin allergy medication for you.

I am allergic to my own sweat and to pressure (doesn't matter what it is that's putting the pressure on my skin). Without a daily dose of the OTC Zyrtec (or generic), I get really hyperreactive to my own skin pressing on other portions of my skin.

IANAD, but especially if you find that it's seasonal and not a yeast-caused or heat-caused rash, you may want to give zyrtec or claritin a try.
posted by kalessin at 12:13 PM on August 20, 2009

i'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're slouching at the computer and that this crease gets deep and sweaty when you do it. happens to me. i can stop it by... sitting up straight.
posted by klanawa at 1:13 PM on August 20, 2009

Nthing that you should try antifungal cream, like clotrimazole, as others have said the stuff for jock itch would probably work. When you get rid of the rash, try to keep the area dry, and you can try a cornstarch-based baby powder.
posted by gudrun at 9:43 PM on August 20, 2009

Talk to your doctor about Luxiq.
Dermatologist prescribed it for me when I had a similar rash.
You know the drill: IANYD YMMV
posted by Drasher at 4:41 PM on September 6, 2009

« Older Music sharing between music players.   |   Opinion needed on meds and conception. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.